May 21 2013
We all seem to be in pursuit of the one most elusive attributes to the female population; sexier abs and a sculpted stomach! With conflicting information and useless diet plans everywhere, here are the key facts you need in order to shed that wobbly belly and get ready for summer….
We all seem to be in pursuit of the one most elusive attributes to the female population; sexier abs and a sculpted stomach! With conflicting information and useless diet plans everywhere, here are the key facts you need in order to shed that wobbly belly and get ready for summer.
Before we begin (I’ve said this before, and I’m afraid I’m going to say it again!) You cannot spot reduce fat – if you want a flat stomach, you have to lose fat from everywhere.
Usually your body fat has to drop below around 12% before you start to see any definition on your abs at all, and with the average woman measuring in at around 25% these days, that is no mean feat.
1. Stop performing sit ups. A study from Southern Illinois University found that performing a six-week training program that only included abdominal exercises resulted in no loss of body fat. The only positive result from almost four hours a week of ab training was increased endurance in a sit-up test! So stop going to abs class each week and follow these steps instead…..
2. Strengthen your mid section and lose the fat that covers them. Do this by strength training three days a week with exercises that use the large muscles in your body. Do lots of squats, deadlifts, chin ups, rows and other multi-joint exercises, with just one ab exercise a day. With such a program, you’ll get leaner, decrease your waist circumference, and have stronger abs and a more structurally balanced body.
3. Ditch the bread! Bloating is a big problem for a lot of us, and usually it’s caused by intolerances to certain foods. You do not have to have a full blown allergy for your body to react badly to a particular food; other intolerances than can cause bloating are dairy and fructose, the sugar found in fruits. If you suffer from bloating, try systematically cutting out certain food groups from your diet, and see how your body reacts. Try the biggest culprits like bread, pasta, milk and yoghurt first. You’ll be surprised how big a difference this will make to your waistline – and to how you feel.
4. Manage stress. The hormone cortisol is released when you are under physical and mental stress. When cortisol is chronically elevated—as it is for many of us in this high-pressure world—it shifts the body into a fat storage mode in the abdominal area. Do whatever works for you to minimize stress: try meditation, yoga, or play with your kids. I guarantee that if you can minimize stress in your daily life, get adequate rest, and train regularly, you will see better, leaner abs by the end of the summer.
5. Burn body fat with interval training, to reveal the abs underneath. Hiding under those niggly bits of fat are where your abs will stay unless you get sprinting! Running is the best option if you can’t get to the gym, and with the weather getting warmer there’s no excuse not to.
Noticing a trend in some of our articles on how to sculpt the perfect body for you? It’s really not that difficult once you know how! However, the formula is a little different for all of us, and you have to find out what works for you.
Tired of trying the same diets as your friends…..with no results?
Have you been in the gym for the last 6 months but that flat stomach is yet to show?
Maybe your stomach is flat already but you want to get those six-pack abs?
If you answered any of the above questions with a yes, then Like our Facebook Page and I’ll post a 5 week Abs Attack program to get you ready for the beach!